Friday, August 24, 2012

Inspiration



In trying to come up with a name for this blog the phrase "things that go" stuck in my mind, but I wasn't sure where it came from. So I Googled that phrase and came up with this... I used to love Richard Scarry books when I was a wee lad and I imagine that this just stuck with me.

Scarry was born in Boston, Mass. in 1919. Funny because I had always thought he was British. Anyway he wrote and illustrated over 300 books, many featuring "Busytown", a city populated by various anthropomorphic animals (including the infamous Lowly Worm!) who were always... busy. He married a woman called Patricia Murphy, herself a writer, which is funny because I seem to remember a character in his books called "Murphy".

Scarry moved to Gstaad, Switzerland in 1972 and lived and worked there until his death in 1994. Just typing that made me feel a bit sad because I loved his books so much, but as some other famous writer once said, "so it goes." His son Richard Jr. or "Huck" is also an illustrator and lives in Vienna. Huck's daughters are referred to as "socialites". I hope they are keeping as busy as their grandfather did when he was writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Don't worry if it doesn't show up instantly, comments are moderated. Thanks!