Monday, July 8, 2013

Porsche Parade: Pony and Picnic in the Park

June 30, 2013 was "Porsche Club of America" night at the local Pony Corral cruise night. There was a good showing from the local chapter with about 20 cars coming out. I made sure to be there to get my free drink and giant hamburger - wow was it big.

Chapter president Geoff was there with his new-to-him '79 930. What a cool car, in wonderful preserved condition. The boxed rockers are sure unusual, Geoff says that they were added at the factory.

I brought out my '85 Carrera 3.2 of course.

Next to me was an '89 Carrera 3.2 in Slate Grey, this is a Euro model and a beauty. Cloth upholstery too which is rare to see.

Of course there is always "that guy" and in this case it was Bentley Man (at right, in tan shorts) who appeared to insist on parking right at the entrance. His travelling companion is the lovely lady just to the left of the car.
 
This uniquely customized vehicle is Pontiac Grand Am with the personalized plate "Hot SE". Dale said it reminded him of the Red River Ex on wheels. To me it had a certain Filipino Jeepney-like quality:

But hey, to each his own. That guy would probably think my mostly-stock Porsche is the height of lameness.

Then the following Sunday, the local PCA chapter organized a picnic in Assiniboine Park followed by a drive out to a local drive-in about 17km north of the city.
 
There was a pretty good turn-out of cars from the club.

I had mine there of course, freshly detailed. I think I will take some better pics and write up a post on that.


Anyway, after a fashion we all arrived at the Half-Moon Drive In in Lockport, and basically monopolized the lower parking lot for an impromptu car show.

PCA member Paz and Lisa brought his 2012 Turbo Cabrio. As I said to Pam afterwards, there was evrything out on the drive from $5K (mid-'80s 944s) to $170K (this Turbo). Pretty inclusive club I guess!

 Crowd around Geoff's Turbo.

Andy's '87 Carrera 3.2 with the inferior heavyweight G50 gearbox ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! Don't worry if it doesn't show up instantly, comments are moderated. Thanks!